5. Democracy in Pakistan — Episode 79 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Pranay Kotasthane and Hamsini Hariharan)
6. India’s Maldives Dilemma — Episode 57 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Pranay Kotasthane)
7. Radically Networked Societies — Episode 158 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Pranay Kotasthane)
8. The Geopolitics of the Bangladesh War — Episode 113 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Srinath Raghavan)
9. Libertarianism — Episode 64 of The Seen and the Unseen
10. Foreign Policy: Time to Be a Major Player — Pranay Kotasthane
11. We Live in Multiple Neighbourhoods — Pranay Kotasthane
12. All That’s Not New in Naya Pakistan — Pranay Kotasthane
13. Ingredients of a New World Order — Pranay Kotasthane
14. Pranay Kotasthane’s newsletter, Anticipating the Unintended.
15. Manoj Kewalramani’s newsletter, Eye on China….
From the Arab Spring to Shaheen Bagh, radically networked societies are rising up to express themselves. What do they have in common? How will a hierarchical state deal with a networked society? Pranay Kotasthane shares his insights with Amit Varma in episode 158 of The Seen and the Unseen.
Also check out: 1. Individual Liberty vs Public Security in a Radically Networked Society — Nitin Pai and Pranay Kotasthane.
2. Networked Societies and Hierarchical States: The Emerging Challenge to Political Order — Nitin Pai and Sneha Shankar
3. Twitter and Tear Gas — Zeynep Tufekci
4. Serdar Akinan’s picture of the procession of coffins
5. Episodes of The Seen and the Unseen featuring Pranay Kotasthane
6. Protesters Are United by Something Other Than Politics — Tyler Cowen
7. Films, Feminism, Paromita — Episode 155 of The Seen and the…
…Seen and the Unseen (w Srinath Raghavan).
6. The India-Pakistan Conflict — Episode 111 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Srinath Raghavan).
7. War and Peace in Modern India — Srinath Raghavan.
8. China’s Influence in South Asia — Episode 22 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Pranay Kotasthane).
9. India’s Maldives Dilemma — Episode 57 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Pranay Kotasthane).
10. India’s China War — Neville Maxwell.
11. China’s Indian War — Bertil Lintner.
12. Strong Borders, Secure Nation — M Taylor Fravel.
13. From Frontier Policy to Foreign Policy — Matthew Mosca.
14. Watershed 1967 — Prabal Dasgupta.
15. Making it Count — Arunabh Ghosh.
16. The Stories Behind the Numbers — Episode 52 of States of Anarchy.
17. A Tale of Two Kingdoms — Episode 32 of States of…
…/> 7. India’s Founding Moment — Madhav Khosla.
8. Where Have All the Leaders Gone? — Amit Varma.
9. Democracy in Pakistan — Episode 79 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Pranay Kotasthane & Hamsini Hariharan).
10. The 2019 Elections — Episode 122 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Sadanand Dhume).
11. Radically Networked Societies — Episode 158 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Pranay Kotasthane).
12. The Emergency — Episode 103 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Gyan Prakash).
13. Taking Stock of Our Republic — Episode 157 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Ram Guha).
14. A Game Theory Problem: Who Will Bell The Congress Cat? — Amit Varma.
15. An Area of Darkness — VS Naipaul.
16. India: A Wounded Civilization — VS Naipaul.
17. The Discovery of India — Jawaharlal Nehru….
On September 18, 2016, a group of terrorists attacked an Indian army brigade headquarters near the town of Uri in J&K. Nineteen people died, and there was immense pressure on the Indian government to retaliate. The prime minister, Narendra Modi, eventually launched what he described as ‘surgical strikes’, meant to be a show of strength and resolve. Defence analyst Pranay Kotasthane joins Amit Varma to discuss the Seen and Unseen effects of these surgical strikes.
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan. Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan. Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojna. All these are centrally sponsored government schemes with good intentions at their heart. But are good intentions enough? Pranay Kotasthane joins Amit Varma to discuss the Unseen Effects of Centrally Sponsored Government Schemes.
China has become an influential force in India’s neighbourhood recently. Is this something India should be worried about? Foreign policy expert Pranay Kotasthane joins Amit Varma to allay these fears.
The Budget presented by the government of India is an annual ritual that millions of people tune in to. What was the 2018 budget like? Pavan Srinath and Pranay Kotasthane, staff writers of Pragati, join Amit Varma to offer their quick analysis, and to supplement the budget coverage at Pragati.
There is turmoil in the Maldives, as a tyrant unfriendly to India cozies up to China. Do we need to intervene? Foreign policy expert Pranay Kotasthane joins Amit Varma to give his point of view in episode 57 of The Seen and the Unseen.
Is there really democracy in Pakistan? What were these elections all about? Pranay Kotasthane and Hamsini Hariharan join Amit Varma in episode 79 of The Seen and the Unseen to discuss the two Pakistans, and what lies ahead.
In India, we have government of the people and for the people, but not by the people. How can we fix this? Polymath thinker Ashwin Mahesh joins Amit Varma in episode 160 of The Seen and the Unseen to chat about participatory democracy, India Against Corruption, the Aam Aadmi Party and what makes a Good Indian.
Also check out:
1. Ashwin Mahesh’s homepage.
2. With the Government, Within the Government, As the Government — Ashwin Mahesh
3. The State of our Farmers — Episode 86 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Gunvant Patil)
4. A Life in Indian Politics — Episode 149 of The Seen and the Unseen (w JP Narayan)
5. Radically Networked Societies — Episode 158 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Pranay Kotasthane)
6. Education in India — Episode 77 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Amit Chandra)
7. The Anti-Defection Law — Episode 13 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Barun Mitra)
…— Amit Varma.
17. On Inequality — Harry Frankfurt.
18. A Theory of Justice — John Rawls.
19. Anarchy, State and Utopia — Robert Nozick.
20. Arguments for Liberty — Aaron Ross Powell and Grant Babcock.
21. Saving Capitalism From the Capitalists — Raghuram Rajan.
22. Out-Arnabing Arnab — Episode 8 of Econ Central.
23. Parkinson’s Law — Cyril Northkote Parkinson.
24. Myths of Official Measurement — Abhijeet Singh.
25. Centrally Sponsored Government Schemes — Episode 17 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Pranay Kotasthane).
26. The Aggregate Effect of School Choice — Karthik Muralidharan and Venkatesh Sundararaman.
27. The Private Schooling Phenomenon in India: A Review — Geeta G Kingdon.
28. Extending access to low-cost private schools through vouchers: an alternative interpretation — James Tooley.Also, do check out Amit’s writing course, The Art of Clear Writing.